Sunday, February 01, 2009

Who says hard-hitting journalism is dead?

The Post: "Ukulele advocate speaks out":
At age 12, Joe Stewart began playing the ukulele, but abandoned his first musical instrument in favor of the guitar. Then, a few years ago, he heard the late Hawaiian ukulele musician Israel "Bruddah Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition of "White Sandy Beach of Hawai'i." Stewart fell in love again with the tiny four-stringed instrument, joined the Denver Ukulele Orchestra, and became an active member of the local ukulele scene.

Q: How many ukuleles do you own?

A: I, personally? I own three. I believe most people have more than one ukulele. You never can have too many. Wait — I own three, but I gave one away to the daughter of my wife's cousin. She came over and talked about wanting to play the ukulele, and she had some ability for someone who'd never touched one before. So I gave one to her. We have a new convert.

Q: Where does the Denver Ukulele Orchestra perform?

A: Mainly, we've ventured into retirement homes.

No comments: