Sunday, May 04, 2008

NorthDenverTribuneWatch!

Last NDTW post noted reporter Ed Mickens' piece on an upcoming forum at North High School to discuss the Democratic National Convention's effects on the neighborhood. This week Ed has a frontpage story on the forum in which, after the jump, lurks this paragraph:
Days after my previous story, announcing this forum, appeared in this paper, I was attacked in a local blog for alluding to the phrase "the whole world is watching" (which, for those unaware, was the chant of demonstrators at the Chicago Convention in 1968). And I was criticized for trying to be funny. Now, this was not a significant blog . . .
That's when I realized he was talking about this very D-blog.
. . . and I've taken my hits in the past (usually from right-wing fundamentalists).
You got me dead to rights, Ed. But wasn't this supposed to be, you know, a news story?
But I didn't spend decades in various movement politics [aha!] without becoming acutely aware of the dangers of free-floating anger.
Say what, Bubba?
Confrontation is useful, even essential, in a healthy democracy; just sniping at whatever moves does more damage than good.
Yeah. I think I finally get it. If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem!

But seriously, Ed. Here again is the post you're referring to. Sadly, it's not very funny*, but there's absolutely nothing snipish about it. I just give you a hard time for your dorky writing and willful (one hopes) nai--sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt your chastening:
Perhaps an even more important volunteer program we could all engage in, starting right now, is to encourage everyone we know--of whatever viewpoint or position--to stop and think before we spout, to respect others, to listen and allow. Maybe in this small way we coulde all train ourselves and each other to elevate civil discourse, and separate it from emotional chaff. That could really make Denver shine.

Oh, Ed.

*Actually it's not funny at all.

Update: By the way, Ed, I've been making gentle fun of the North Denver Tribune longer than you've been writing for it. Do a blog search for "NorthDenverTribuneWatch." You'll be glad you did.

Update II: And thank you for not using the word "divisive."

Update III: Just for comparison purposes, Ed, here's some civil discourse R!68 honcho Glenn Spagnuolo has "spouted" my way. If you can't hear the difference in tone, in attitude and in language from what I write (including about your piece), forget it. This blog is (however ineffectually) snarky; Spagnoodles & Co. are just plain nasty, and they explicitly disdain civil discourse (that's why they're takin' it to the streets, baby.)

No comments: