Thursday, August 31, 2006

Saudi man gets 28-to-life in Colorado slavery case

The guy was a doctoral candidate in linguistics at CU, which I hadn't seen mentioned in earlier coverage. The Post:
A Saudi Arabian man convicted of sexual assault and keeping a woman enslaved in his Aurora home was sentenced today to 28 years to life in prison.

Homaidan Al-Turki, 37, a linguistics doctoral candidate at the University of Colorado at Boulder, was sentenced to 20 years to life on 12 of counts of unlawful sexual contact and 8 years for theft.

LGF noted the sentencing of Al-Turki's wife earlier this month.

Update: And LGF noticed the followup story I missed in the Rocky today in which Al-Turki is quoted as saying to the judge,

“Your honor, I am not here to apologize, for I cannot apologize for things I did not do and for crimes I did not commit,” he told Judge Mark Hannen. “The state has criminalized these basic Muslim behaviors. Attacking traditional Muslim behaviors was the focal point of the prosecution,” he said.

The Rocky also notes that "the Saudi government gave Al-Turki the money he needed to post a $400,000 bond on the charges in Arapahoe County."

No comments: